Once again, I neglected my cleaning and opted to read instead. I really need to quit doing that.
I was feeling a little burned out for the time being on all the teen fiction that I've been reading lately. I usually like to skip around and read different genre's but it's been a while since I've read something nonfiction. Not since the January to be exact. So I was trying to decide what to read and the assistant manager at work, Dan, recommended this book.
When You Are Engulfed in Flames, by David Sedaris
This book is a collection of short stories that are from this guy's life. They all are quite amusing and leave you wondering if they are actually true. One of the silly stories talks about how he got a "Stadium Buddy" which is basically a condom that has a tube that goes to a bag that you strap to your calf so that allows you to pee your pants and get away with it. He thought it would come in handy in the airplane and on book tours. The story details how he figures out that this isn't as good of an idea as it seems because peeing your pants requires more concentration that you'd think and is a little distracting while reading books aloud to a crowd or signing books, not to mention the fact that it looks like you have a swollen calf when you get off the airplane. There are also other funny stories like when his friend gave him a padded pair of underwear since he had no butt. He cherished the "fanny" until summer and it became too hot to wear. Also there's a hilarious story about an old lady that used to live across the hall from them that would spy on people out her window. She spotted someone throw a cigarette in a planter and yelled at him so hard her bottom denture fell out of her mouth and fell 5 stories. When he retrieved it for her he said it was like popping batteries in a foul toy because she put them back in her mouth without washing it and issued a string of curse words. Although this book is entertaining, there is quite a bit of swearing and the guy is gay, so beware homophobes. I would however recommend it though if you can handle it. This is his 6th book I believe and I wouldn't mind reading some of his others. This book is currently one of our bestsellers.
No comments:
Post a Comment