The Secret Lives of the US Presidents by Cormac O'Brian
This is a book that I saw when we were in DC last year, and I thought it sounded good. I found it at work for cheap and decided to buy it. It has 3-4 pages on each president. There are some pretty funny things in there. I have heard some of the stories from watching different shows on the Discovery and History Channels but here's some interesting facts that I hadn't heard before reading the book.
George Washington- had leopard skin robes made for his horses
Thomas Jefferson-enjoyed greeting ambassadors in his pajamas
James Madison- Was the shortest President, he was only 5'4
James Monroe-chased his secretary of treasury with a pair of fire tongs during an argument
John Quincy Adams- was fond of skinny dipping in the Potomac
Andrew Jackson-was rumored to fight in over 100 duels and was a horrible speller.
John Taylor-Had 15 children, his second wife was 30 years younger than him and was actually a girl his son had fallen for
Zachary Taylor-He wore tattered clothes and people often mistook him for a farmer.
Abraham Lincoln-Was known for his sense of humor- He was quoted as saying "If I had another face, do you think I would wear this one?" when accused of being two faced during a debate.
Grover Cleveland-When a close friend died, he became legal guardian of the daughter who was 11 at the time, 10 years later....he married her.
Theodore Roosevelt-He tried to have "In God We Trust" removed from our currency. He said it was blasphemous to have it on coins that people used to buy booze and brassieres. He also tried to change the spelling of American English, making it more phonetic.
Warren G Harding-Was addicted to gambling. He lost a priceless box of White House china in a hand of poker
Harry S Truman-Turns out the "S" doesn't stand for anything. His parents couldn't decided which grandfather to name him after, Shippe or Solomon.
Dwight Eisenhower-became so used to having people do things for him (this included someone pulling up his boxer shorts) couldn't even dial a telephone after his presidency.
John F Kennedy- was constantly treated for chlamydia and has said "I get a migraine headache if I don't get a strange piece of a-- every day."
Lyndon B Johnson- was fond of giving people rides at his ranch in Texas driving 90 mph while drinking scotch from a paper cup. One time a secret service agent recalls that while shielding Johnson as he urinated outdoors, he felt something warm on his leg. When he protested Johnson said "That's alright son. It's my prerogative."
Gerald Ford-used to be a model
Jimmy Carter-said he saw a UFO
Ronald Reagan- Posed almost nude for art students in 1940
There are also some pretty funny quotes from George W Bush:
"There's an old saying in Tennessee-I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee-that says, fool me once, shame on-shame on you. Fool me- you can't get fooled again."
"I promise you I will listen to what has been said here, even though I wasn't here."
"I understand small business growth. I was one."
"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your families."
2 comments:
I can't believe you read such filth.
I really enjoy reading filth. It spices up my otherwise boring life.
Post a Comment