Thursday, July 31, 2008

Insanity!

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer: Book Cover 
...is the devil incarnate!
Tomorrow is our big Breaking Dawn party and it is turning out that we are having the biggest release party in the country!  (I actually don't know that, but for B&N's yes, it will be the biggest.)  I'm kind of excited to see what goes on in one of these events but I'm a little apprehensive because there are going to be THOUSANDS of people coming to the party and the midnight release.  This week has been crazy busy as the rabid Twilight fans swarm our store with phone calls and rushing the store to reserve their copies because they can't wait to get the book.  There have been people in TEARS because they might not get their book at midnight when it comes out.  I can't comprehend how someone can be so obsessed with ANYTHING, that they would be in tears over not getting it the moment it was available.  I mean, it's not their heart medication or anything.  They will survive!  So the phone has been ringing off the hook and we are forced to answer the same questions over and over again even though it's on the phone message when they first call the store.  Imagine repeating yourself hundreds of times a day.  Tomorrow morning when we open, we will be handing out wristbands to reserve places in line so people won't have to camp out in front of our store until midnight to buy the book.  It turns out, people are camping out to get the wristbands!  Shortly after I opened the store today I was already receiving calls from the rabid fans asking if there were campers outside and if they could camp.  WHY?!!!  All this over a book, and if I might add, not a very impressive book.  I've read other teen books and there is not much of a difference.  Trust me!  I think people have hyped this book up so much that it taints peoples opinions as they read it.  Yes, it is entertaining in certain parts of the book but it doesn't deserve all the attention it's currently getting and certainly not all the hysteria.  Apparently people decided to go to Walmart when the last book came out because it was going to be cheaper but they ran out.  Then they were banging on our doors at 3am as we were putting the money in the safe begging for us to let them in.  We have been asking the different retailers how many copies they are getting and how much they are going to sell it for and it looks like we have the most copies and will end up getting people coming to us after the other retailers run out.  Hopefully it won't be after we've put all the money away because they'll just have to come back when we reopen.  Hello people!  We do have to go home and sleep before reopening the store a few hours later.  You can wait a few more hours to get your precious book!  Like I said, it will be interesting.  I don't think you understand the creeping fear that is starting to take over me as I take more and more reservations for this damnable book.  It is very crazy!  I'll try to take some pictures from the party and post them later but I don't want the rabid fans to trample me if I'm in the way.  
Rabid Fans + Overrated Book = SCARY!!!!

No comments: