
Karen Carpenter:
As young kids, we were introduced to Karen Carpenter when a made for tv movie was made about her life. My dad recorded it and she quickly became the idol for me, Sariah and Becca. We started listening to her music and constantly argued over who "looked" and "sounded" the most like Karen. Yes, three little half poly Karen Carpenters. We thought Becca looked like Karen in her kindergarten school picture. I was so jealous. I wish I had that picture right now so we could look at the uncanny resemblance. Hey, if anyone has this picture please email it to me so I can post it. Keep in mind that we were referencing the actress that played Karen on the show more than the real Karen. Pretty funny. We watched that show constantly. Karen also found her place in our Barbie playing. We'd play the Carpenters on the tape player and have a "concert" with the Barbie playing Karen. One day in fourth grade, it was writing time and I didn't know what to write, so I wrote "The true story of Karen Carpenter" in big letters on my page. My teacher came by and saw what I had written and said "I love Karen Carpenter!" So I went home and watched the show and took notes on the dates and wrote my story. My story was pretty much an outline of the movie which is where I got all my information. Pretty funny. I also read it to the class. I can only imagine what all the kids thought. They probably didn't even know who the Carpenters were. Losers! Anyways, at the end of 5th grade the band teacher from middle school comes over and shows the different instruments that you can choose to play when you take band starting in 6th grade. My choice was the drums, duh! I wanted to play the drums like Karen. My dad who played the drums in high school told me that girls couldn't play the drums. What a horrible thing to say to someone who was a fan of Karen Carpenter! I pointed out the fact that Karen played the drums, it didn't work. My second choice was the flute. I ended up getting the Clarinet, just like Sariah. So much for being different! Life continued and Karen eventually held less of an influence over us as we got older. Later in high school Becca and I actually found 2 people that liked the Carpenters as much as we did growing up. I really thought we were the only people who were that obsessed with her until we found out that they used to fight over whose turn it was to be Karen too. We also introduced the Carpenters to another one of our friends whose sister thought it was kind of weird. I remember telling someone that Karen Carpenter was my idol as a kid and they said "an anorexic? that's nice" How rude. Obviously we didn't idolize her for being anorexic, it was for her superior talent! Some people will never understand why to this day Karen Carpenter still holds a special place in my heart. Ahhhh, rest in peace Karen!

You can actually watch the whole movie on Youtube! Below is one part of the movie. After I was finished writing this entry, I made Chris read it and watch parts of the movie as I sung along to all the songs. He laughed at me and said it was funny music. Geez, like I said, some people just don't understand! I also thought that if I were ever to become a famous singer, that I would cover a bunch of Carpenter songs. I love this movie by the way. It brings back great memories seeing it again after so many years!
The Karen Carpenter Story
2 comments:
Hello....I think ALL Sjoberg's were in love with Karen!!! We would listen to her music non stop and pretend to be her!!! ha ha.....it's funny how are childhood's are the same....maybe that's because we were practically raised together!
I remember arguing with Season about the opening scene of the movie. She thought Karen was ice skating and I told her Karen was roller skating. How do you ice skate in a hospital? Duh! Maybe I'll have to send her a link to the movie.
For a while I couldn't figure out why I only knew the lyrics to the first verse of their songs. Then I realized it was because they didn't play the complete songs on the movie. Pretty funny.
If anything, Karen Carpenter made me hate anorexia because it killed her. Plus, who were they kidding? Have you ever heard of an anorexic Samoan?
Post a Comment