
Our house in Walla Walla had a few fruit trees in the yard. There was a prune tree, apple tree, and at one time an apricot and pear tree. The pear tree was a goner and so was the apricot tree, but the other two still produced quite a bit of fruit. The prune tree practically fell over because it was so heavy, we had to prop it up with a board. The apple tree we didn't eat very often because the apples were pretty sour, it was pretty much a nuisance because we always had to pick up all the apples. Even with all this fruit handy, it didn't stop us from stealing from everyone else. There was a cherry tree down the street and we would ride our bikes down and grab a few and ride back. After a while we wouldn't even stop. We would grab the branch and strip it of leaves and cherries as we rode by. One day I grabbed the branch too hard and ended up pulling the whole branch off the tree! I just kept riding, dragging the branch all the way down the street to our backyard. We gathered around the branch and ate all the cherries off it. Later, the neighbor lady brought a few bags of cherries over and told our mom to tell us not to pull the branches off the tree and that we could have as many cherries as we wanted if we just asked. Oops! Our scavenging didn't stop there. I remember walking around with a friend and spotting a rhubarb plant in an alley and we grabbed some and took it home to eat. One of my favorite things to eat growing up was cherries that either my mom or grandma had canned. We would eat bowls of it with the juice. The juice looked like cough syrup on a spoon so I would pretend that I was taking my medicine. Crazy kids. I remember one time going to a cherry orchard as a family and picking a bunch of cherries. We ate a lot before we even left. On the car ride home somebody threw up, probably Becca. The combination of eating all those cherries and sitting facing backward in the Suburban was a dangerous mix. Unfortunately, her brand new white shirt from Samoa was the casualty.
1 comment:
It was me that threw up. It stained the shirt red because of all the cherries I ate. I was devastated. The worst part was when mom hosed me off in the backyard. So sad.
Post a Comment