I had never borrowed movies from the library and I decided that I'd give it a try since I'm too cheap to pay rental fees. Unfortunately most of the new releases are gone most of the time but as I browsed the shelves, I noticed a few movies that I still wanted to see. You can't really complain about something that's free right? Chris didn't even know they had movies at the library.
Pride and Prejudice (BBC version) Rated NR
Everyone kept telling me that this was the best movie ever. I had never seen it before. The library had it on VHS. Yes, those still exist, and yes, I have a VCR if you remember what those are. It was pretty good. I was annoyed at having to change tapes since there were 6 of them at 50 minutes each. Some of the things that I enjoyed were, Mrs Bennet is way obnoxious, and whenever Mr Collins is interrupted by Lady Catherine de Bourgh he does a funny thing in which he silences himself. Most of the cast were not that great looking especially Caroline Bingley. She looked scary. Also the Bennet sisters were pretty homely. I noticed that in some scenes Keira Knightley had almost replicated exactly almost every word and tone in the newer version of Pride and Prejudice. Wow, what a great actress! Although I liked the BBC version, I think I was tainted by seeing the new version first. I liked the music and cinematography better, and also the length of the movie suits me better. One girl at work that is a huge Jane Austen fan pointed out one of her reasons for hating the new version is that at the very end when Lizzie meets Mr Darcy in the field, he is pretty much wearing his pajamas. She said "Why would you go over to someones house in your pajamas?" This leads to the debate over which film you like better?
I also borrowed:
Vacancy, Rated R
Gee, I realize now that I have been blogging about the movies I watch, I actually watch quite a few Rated R movies. I admit, I don't usually pay attention to ratings, I just watch whatever and then pay dearly in some cases. Anyways, this movie is about a couple who get stranded after having car problems in a remote area. They are forced to stay in a rundown motel and then realize that the motel owner has been murdering the customers and filming it. They are forced to fight for their lives. What I like about some of these scary movies is the fact that sometimes the main characters are on the verge of breaking up and then through the crisis realize that they really love each other. It happens in this movie, the main characters were going to file for divorce when they got back from their trip. This also happens in The Strangers, the main character had just refused her boyfriends marriage proposal but he sees she is wearing the engagement ring at the end just before they die. How sweet, this is also a great life lesson! This movie kind of ends weird. It was okay but not my favorite scary movie. As always, they could have improved their chances of survival by just hiding around the corner and jumping the bad guys a few times but of course didn't. I guess that's easy for me to say when I'm just sitting on my couch and telling the main characters how stupid they are while they're the ones running from the killers.
4 comments:
I love both versions of P&P, but I would have to say that I am partial to the newer version, since I saw it first. Plus you can watch it in one sitting without wasting half a day.
I LOVE the soundtrack. Sometimes when I'm listening to it at work I stop what I'm doing to listen and become sad because it's the music for Darcy's letter.
I agree, the new version is so much faster and I don't mind Keira in it...most people don't like her. If you skip the first disc of the old version it isn't so long...but then you miss the humor! lol. The first one is just a little too long! Sounds like I need to buy that soundtrack! And Darcy in the new one is better looking too!
My friend would totally disagree with you, Amanda. She was drooling all over the place when Colin Firth was taking a bath and when he went for a swim. I like the new Darcy.
The first one is long, but it's nice to have more details and when you don't want the story to end that's nice.
One other reason why I like the newer one is because I feel like there's a lot of overacting in the old one. It's obvious that most of the actors were stage actors. I found Mrs. Bennett especially irritating.
Yes, Mrs. Bennet was a little over the top. At first I thought it was annoying how shrill she was all the time, but after a while I just thought it was funny.
Post a Comment