Monday, June 30, 2008

week in a glance

I can't believe a week has gone by already! Thinking back on what has happened in the last week, it seems it was pretty uneventful. Last week I had to do some cafe training at work. This is a little nerve racking at times because it's hard to remember how to make all the different drinks. Sometimes people come in and order a drink and call it something different than what the actual name is and it gets confusing. I can handle getting things out of the pastry case pretty well. Ha ha. I'm not a big fan of coffee and tea products but I tried the strawberry and creme frappachino and it's pretty good. It pretty much tastes like a strawberry shake. I know, I'm a sinner for drinking a coffee based drink but a pepsi probably has more caffeine. Anyways, there's a mint mocha chip frap that sounds kind of good. Some people say that if you get it with a creme base instead of the regular frappachino base, it tastes like mint chocolate chip ice cream. I haven't tried it yet though. A lot of people like the Italian soda's but I'm not a big fan. It's pretty much flavor syrup, soda water, half and half and ice.

Saturday after I got off work Chris and I went to dinner with his friend and his girlfriend at Tucanos. I know, it seems we go there a lot. It's Chris' favorite because it's all you can eat meat. Gross! I like the pasta salads but I can't handle eating a lot of meat. I get sick almost every time we eat there. Luckily I had some self control and ate less than I usually do and didn't get sick.

Yesterday I stayed home and worked on trying to clean up the house a little bit. It's gotten to be a bit of a disaster. Probably because I read too much and let the dishes and laundry pile up. I didn't really make that much of a dent in the cleaning since I finished reading my book first. Ha ha.
Cover Image
Wicked Lovely, by Melissa Marr
This book is Teen Fiction. I've heard a few people at work say they liked it a lot so I decided to read it. It's about a girl that can see faeries. She follows these rules so that the faeries don't know she can see them because if they know, it could be very dangerous for her. This works out fine for her until two of them start to follow her around and then one poses as a mortal and starts to romantically pursue her. Turns out this Fae is the summer king looking for the mortal who will be his queen and will release his powers. Sounds kind of weird but it's pretty good. I was kind of shocked while reading it because there is quite a bit of sexual tension in the book and a part when the characters are engaging in sexual activities but it's not descriptive, it just refers to it. It also has the F bomb in it 2 times. A little risque for a teen book. After reading it I was thinking "Oops, I shouldn't have been recommending this to early teens." This is more for 15 yrs and up.
Cover Image
Ink Exchange, by Melissa Marr
This is the sequel to Wicked Lovely. This book follows one of the friends of the main character in the last book. This friend Leslie gets caught between two fairy courts, the Summer court and the Dark court. Leslie has been dealing with difficulties in her personal life and decides to get a tattoo to help reclaim her body as her own after she is raped by her brothers drug dealer friend. The problem with this is that the King of the Dark court is using tattoos to draw strength from mortals. By getting the tattoo, she unknowingly ties herself to the Dark King. She also finds herself falling for another Fae (that she doesn't know is a Fae), from the Summer court who is sent to watch over her. This book is pretty good too and is different because the point of view is told from different characters than the first book so it stays interesting. Like the first book, this is more for older teens than early teens since there is some sexuality in it, but I don't recall any swearing. I did think that Leslie's obsession with getting "ink" was kind of weird but then again I've never been that into tattoos so I wouldn't know. Apparently the author is planning on writing more books that follow the same characters but are in different time lines and follow the different characters point of view.

Today at work we went over our plans for the Breaking Dawn release in our managers meeting. For those of you who don't know, it's the fourth book in the Twilight series. Since Stephanie Meyer went to BYU, there is a huge Twilight community here in Utah county and from the looks of it, it is only growing. I haven't read the books yet and am debating on whether I really want to. Sometimes I get a little rebellious and decide not to read things if there is too much hype. Like A New Earth, Oprah's latest book club book or any of the Harry Potter books. ha ha. Someone at work thought it was sacrilege that I work in a bookstore and haven't read Harry Potter. Anyways, we are having a huge party the day before the book comes out and are having a midnight release party. They were telling me to be prepared for a bunch of freaks that come dressed up and camp out in order to be the first to get the book. Some people are so strange. Why anyone would camp out to buy a book or anything for that matter is beyond me. Anyways I'm kind of excited since this will be my first big release and I want to see what happens. From the sound of it, it should prove to be pretty interesting.

2 comments:

steve-o said...

Repent, sinner.

Abish said...

ha ha. I belong to the coffee church.