Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Walla Walla Memory 10

Decoy & Mom Jr:
When we lived in Walla Walla, Rachel and Nephi were just little kids.  I think Nephi was 5 when we moved to Utah and Rachel was maybe 4 or something.  Anyways, Nephi was a hyper little kid growing up.  Here's some crazy things that I remember about him.  For some reason he nicknamed himself Decoy.  I don't know why, maybe someone remembers but I don't.  To this day, there are a few relatives that still call him Decoy.  He also called Satan "Justice".  This came from the saying "Bring these criminals to justice."  Makes sense I guess.  Take those criminals straight to Hell where they belong!  He was also obsessed with Ninja Turtles and Batman.  He had this ugly blue sweater with a clown head on it.  It must have been his favorite shirt because he wore it a lot!  The poor kid was the only boy with four sisters which meant that he got picked on.  We also enjoyed dressing him up as a girl which made dad really mad.  There is a picture out there somewhere with Nephi dressed up as a girl and Rachel dressed up as a boy.  Also since Nephi and Rachel were closer in age, they would play together.  This meant that he would play Barbies with Rachel in order to get Rachel to play with him.  There are also the medical emergencies where Nephi tried to put a Barbie earring in his ear and it got stuck inside, and the time he put one of our skirts around his neck and spun around in circles.  He got dizzy, fell, and hit his head on the corner of a table and had to get stitches.  One time we tied him up to a chair using a bunch of belts and he was able to get himself free.  This impressed us and we called him "Houdini".  He was pretty proud of himself.  I don't have as many funny stories about Rachel because she wasn't as crazy as Nephi was.  What I remember was, she was really quiet.  Almost a mute.  There's a home video of Christmas one year when Rachel didn't speak a word the whole time.  Rachel would get rashes on her neck and mom would keep her hair short which made it easier for us to dress her up as a boy.  We also started calling her "mom" at one point which drove our mom insane.  We'd yell "Mom!" and she'd ask us what we needed and we'd tell her we weren't talking to her, we were talking to Rachel.  Then Rachel would come over and pretend to be mom.  It was pretty funny seeing a little girl act maternal.  One other thing that I remember about Rachel is that I was super jealous of her dress in her baby picture.  It was a pretty fancy red dress with lots of ruffles, mine was a simple yellow dress.  She also had a little lace umbrella in the pictures.  I was laying on ugly brown carpet.  No I'm not bitter, not bitter at all.  If anyone has copies of these pictures, please send them to me so I can post them.

4 comments:

Becca Brown said...

Poor Nephi. He did get picked on a lot. Something about Nephi - he had a birthmark on his shoulder and a mole on his stomach. We nicknamed them the pancake and chocolate chip.

Rachel is still pretty much a mute at family gatherings. One of the things I remember about Rachel in WA was that Mom always made us do stuff for her like make her sandwiches and stuff. That would always make us mad because it wasn't like her legs were broken or something.

Amanda Stephan said...

You two are hilarious!!!! Nephi was definitely crazy when he was little! You must not forget that there were many times where he was tormenting us!!! lol.

Becca...maybe you had to help her with her sandwiches because she was little...just a thought! ha ha.

steve-o said...

The "youngest kid is helpless" syndrome is quite common. It kept my youngest brother and sister out of chores for years. It was always a joy to have to clean the bathroom I shared with the former despite the fact that he was only three years younger than I and he was the one that couldn't hold still while he peed.

Becca Brown said...

Rachel was perfectly able. My mom just babied her.

After Steve's comment, fixing a sandwich suddenly doesn't sound so bad.