Thursday, October 9, 2008

Cover Image
These is my Words by Nancy Turner
I've been meaning to read this book for a while and finally got around to reading it.  I heard it was about a pioneer girl and that didn't really catch my fancy but I heard from a few people that it was really good and people are always asking for it at work.  I really ended up liking it.  It follows a girl, Sarah, as her family moves to through the Arizona Territories.  I guess you can call them Pioneers.  Anyways, there are a lot of struggles with Indians and people dying from one thing or another.  Sarah ends up being a likable character that is really tough and can out shoot any boy with her rifle but wishes she were more ladylike.  There is also a great love story once you get through the beginning of the book.  I ended up crying at the end of the book.  The author said she was inspired by the book Gone With the Wind, since she has loved the book since she was a child.  There is also a comment on the cover claiming that the main characters Sarah and Jack are the new Scarlett and Rhett.  I can see the similarities and it makes me want to watch the Gone With the Wind movie. It's been a really long time since I've seen it and I remember loving to watch it when I was in middle school.

2 comments:

Becca Brown said...

I love this book. I actually bought it last week and I'm almost finished reading it for the second time. I also just found out there are two sequels. I got them from the library and will let you know if they're any good. I'm setting my expectations low because I don't think it will be the same without Captain Elliot. :(

Gone with the Wind is on my "to read" list. My sister-in-law says the book is sooo much better than the movie.

Abish said...

I know, I want to read Gone With the Wind but that book is huge!