Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Cover Image
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
I finished this book today and really enjoyed reading it.  I always find it interesting to see the differences made when books are adapted into movies.  I was surprised to find out that Elinor was only 19 and Marianne I think 16 or 17 at the start of the book.  It's odd to hear them trash talk Colonel Brandon at the beginning, saying that he is so old (35), but you can see why when you find out their mother is 40.  I found myself picturing the movie in my head while reading which was good because it was easier to understand the emotions going on behind the words.  There were a few parts that I was surprised at, one being Willoughby coming to Elinor when he thought Marianne was on her death bed, the other was that there were a few characters in the book who were removed in the movie (Mrs. Middleton and Nancy Stelle).  Overall I liked the book but love the movie.  The ending of the book is okay because everything is resolved happily but in the movie I like how things flowed better.  This is probably one of the few examples of my liking the movie better.  When I started reading the book, it felt a little daunting.  Since the book I was reading is seven novels in one volume, the print is small.  It's a little discouraging to read for a few hours and only discover that you have only managed to read a few pages!  It is also a little awkward to read because of it's size.  It's almost like reading an encyclopedia in size.  Just kidding, it's not really that big.  My plan is to read the other stories in between other books.  Here is the Jane Austen Encyclopedia below, ha ha!
Cover Image

1 comment:

Becca Brown said...

I love Jane Austen. I'm rereading Pride & Prejudice as we speak. It's still my favorite.