Sunday, January 2, 2011

Every Last One by Anna Quindlen


In this book we follow Mary Beth's life as a mother of three teenaged kids, a wife, and owner of a successful landscaping business. You learn her struggles to keep in touch with what is going on with her children's lives and how she tries to preserve a happy family life. When one of her sons sinks into depression, she focuses on him leaving her family unprepared for a larger tragedy to strike. Overall this is a story of survival and how you begin to piece life back together when you can't imagine it going on.

The first half of the book is spent getting to know the family. I thought I had an idea of what might happen but it ended up being a lot worse than I thought it was going to be. The second half of the book details Mary Beth's life after the tragedy and her struggles to continue her life. Both processes are kind of tedious. Even though the story kind of bored me, I liked the overall message of survival and found myself wondering how I would handle it.

No comments: