I was a little excited to read this when it first came out. It's by a local author and was getting great buzz being described as A Brave New World for Hunger Games fans. A few fellow coworkers read it and raved about it.
The story follows Cassia, a girl just turning 17 , the age where her Society designates the person she is to marry. Her Match. She attends a banquet where her match is announced and is given a information about them to take home to review. Everything is fine, in fact perfect, until she reviews the information and finds that it shows two matches. Even though, the Society officials assure her that it's a mistake, she can't help but fall in love with the second boy. When this happens it leads her to question everything about a Society that controls every aspect of everyone's lives.
I have to admit that I was a little disappointed. Almost the entire book was spent describing Cassia's love triangle and very little led to anything exciting happening. The more interesting parts were where it detailed the lives of the people and how the Society controlled their lives. I was interested in knowing how things got that way, than the love story. Since this is a series, like most books these days, the sequel looks like it will be much more interesting than this one. It was very anticlimactic to me. I still recommend reading this one because I see that the series has some potential.
Recipe for a successful teen novel: Teenaged girl involved in a love triangle with her childhood friend and the mysterious new guy in town. Ugggg!
No comments:
Post a Comment