Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Who do you think you are?!!

One of my biggest pet peeves at work is when customers take it upon themselves to rearrange our furniture!  We have 9 soft armchairs positioned in different areas of the store in groups of 3.  We will start the day with them in the position they are supposed to be in and at the end of the day, some will be in completely different areas of the store.  Some times customers will push these chairs up against the bookcases or displays so that nobody can shop them.  This is very annoying and I will make them move if I see it.  Sunday I was walking from the office to the sales floor and noticed drag marks on the carpet from one corner of the store to the other.  I look over and see that a customer had pushed one of the big soft armchairs across the store and up against a display.  I walked over to him and asked him if he would please put the chair back when he was finished and then told him that we didn't want the chairs moved from the locations they were currently in.  He said "Well, I didn't want to sit there.  I don't like to sit next to anyone."  Keep in mind that the area he was sitting already had chairs available, just not a soft one.  I told him that we didn't want the chairs moved because it ruins the carpets when they are moved from one end of the store to the other.  I told him again that we had the furniture where we wanted them and don't want them moved.  He responded by telling me that there are things that we can get to put under the chairs so that it won't ruin the carpet.  I told him that we have sliders to move furniture around when we need to but that wasn't the point.  We had the furniture where we wanted it and didn't want it moved.  Then I told him to just put the chair back where he found it when he left.  His response was "What's wrong with your arm?"  I just walked off.  I know this conversation sounds really repetitive but this is really how it went.  How many times do I have to repeat it to people for them to understand that they can't be moving things around like it's their own personal living room?  Yes there are sliders to protect the carpet, did he use those when he pushed the chair across the store?  NO.  Idiot!  I don't know where people get the nerve to do this and then argue over it.  If you didn't know that you couldn't move the furniture around and an employee makes you aware, apologize and tell them you'll put it back.  Why tell the store what they can do to make it easier for you to do what the store doesn't want you to do?  Later that night one of the employees told me that a guy was asking about me and wanted to know what I did in the store.  She told him I was a manager and he said "oh".  I actually had someone push a chair right in the middle of nowhere and then tell me that they found it there, right after I saw them push it.  If I had my way, we would get rid of all chairs and tables.  What we are doing is a service by providing a place to sit while you read our books for free!  We are not a library but are treated as one.  Does it get irritating to have to put away stacks and stacks of books and magazines that people have piled up and looked through and then abandoned?  Yes!  Sometimes there are people who look like they have taken one of each magazine off the counter and stacked them up to look through and then not buy a single one.  We don't kick people out for doing this and don't make them buy anything.  The least they can do is not rearrange our furniture!  Do I come to your work and rearrange your furniture?  Am I taking crazy pills or does anyone else think this is inappropriate behavior?

3 comments:

Amanda Stephan said...

Your not crazy...I would be annoyed! You need more customers like my Mom....where they just buy everything! ha ha.

steve-o said...

The customer is always right...even at Barnes & Noble.

Abish said...

I take it you like to rearrange the furniture, Steve. :-p