Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Furminator!

Hugo and Mockie have been really blowing their coat the past few months and have really been looking awful!  Hugo has had large clumps of loose fur that we are constantly brushing and pulling out.  Sometimes it looks like you should be able to pull it out but when you tug on it, it won't come out.  We would brush him for 30 minutes and there would be piles of fur but he would look the same.  Very frustrating for us and probably for him since it's so hot and he still has a heavy coat.  We went to Petsmart today to buy a different brush and decided to try the Furminator.  I didn't get it in the past since it's pretty expensive.  We talked to an employee who told us that it would cost over $80 for one dog for them to do the furminator treatment.  We decided to do it ourselves and just bought the brush which was a fortune at over $50!  When we got home we started brushing Hugo and it was amazing how well it worked on him.  He looks 100% better and the fur came out pretty easy compared to our previous brushing and pulling attempts.  Overall I think the purchase was a good one and am pretty satisfied with the results.  Could we have gotten the same results with another cheaper brush?  Maybe but this seemed to work faster and we removed more fur in one sitting than we've been able to remove in the past few months.  The picture below looks like an exaggeration but I'm telling you that it really isn't.  I brushed Hugo out for maybe 30 minutes and got maybe 1/3 of this amount and he still needs to be brushed more.  He's still got a really heavy coat that's not ready to shed and there are shampoo's that you can use to help loosen it.  I'm sure if we started out with a bath and then brushed him out, we would have gotten the same results if not more.  I should have taken before and after pictures of Hugo and posted them.  Dang!  I'll have to do it when I get around to brushing Mockie.  She was running in the sprinklers and was soaked and they have to be dry when you brush them.
Here is a link to the website.  The Demos are kind of fun to watch.

1 comment:

Season said...

holy cow that is amazing.