Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentines Day Weekend

Happy late Valentines day to everyone.  Chris and I decided that we wouldn't really do anything this year since we have spent soooooo much money in the past few months (home gym, buying a truck, Mockie, and we're fencing in our back yard).  Our plan was to go to lunch and a movie and just hang out.  We went and saw
More Photos
Taken Rated PG13
This is about an ex-spy or some kind of government agent whose daughter gets kidnapped while traveling in Europe.  The girl is taken by people who deal in trafficking and he only has so many hours to find her before she is gone forever.  I liked this movie and was surprised that it was only Rated PG13 since I don't really pay attention to ratings.  They could have easily made this movie Rated R with language, sex, and more violence.

We didn't end up going to lunch though since we changed our mind and didn't want to drive outside of Payson.  Later we went over to Chris' mom's house to have pizza and hang out with Chris' sisters Shayla and Shalese and their families.  We took Mockie with us and she got car sick on the way up to Lehi.  This isn't the first time we've taken her with us and she's never gotten sick before but most of the time she was scared and had her head down or was sleeping.  Last time I took her to the vet she got sick on the way home and threw up all over the place so I wondered if it was a one time thing.  She started drooling really bad and I figured she wasn't doing to hot since your mouth always waters right before you throw up.  She was sitting on my lap and I was prepared to push her onto the floor once she started.  Luckily she didn't throw up very much and since I was prepared, it didn't get anywhere else but the floor.  Last time she was sitting by me in the middle and threw up all over the dash, CD player etc.  It was pretty gross.

We played a few rounds of pictionary and Chris and I won both.  I discovered that I pretty much suck at drawing.  In my mind I would picture what I was going to draw but once I started, it was not looking so great.  We stayed late visiting and got home after midnight.  Mockie was so tired, she napped most of the day yesterday.  ha ha.

I was thinking yesterday about how commercial holidays are or how people use them as an excuse to buy their kids presents.  I don't think I agree with this.  Sure it makes holidays more fun but what kind of lesson does this teach our kids?  In my family, my parents never got us anything for Valentines day.  There were a few years when my mom got us all a little box of chocolates but that was it.  Why do we teach our children that every holiday has gifts attached?  Once you start doing it the children come to expect it and then are disappointed or mad when you don't.  A fine example is of people who go all out buying presents for Christmas and then when they can't afford to do as much, they either feel bad because their kids are disappointed or they ignore all their bills in order to continue the tradition of over buying.  We never got a lot for Christmas growing up but I never remember a year when I thought "Is this it? Why didn't I get more presents?"  I think appropriate activities with your kids on Valentines day would be making Valentines for each other with candy or making cookies and cupcakes.  Why turn it into what Easter has become where the Easter bunny leaves you all sorts of presents and toys?  This isn't even what Easter is about.  Valentines day is a day for sweethearts or whatever (I don't even know how this holiday started), why are we buying our kids a bunch of crap?  I have nothing against Valentines to people, I'm talking about all the other stuff people buy their kids.  This opinion is coming from a person without kids and is kind of a Scrooge.  I'd like to hear what other people think about the subject.  Maybe people feel differently when they have kids or they haven't even thought about it.  I think people now want to give their children everything they didn't have growing up and that is probably not a good thing.  It's hard to teach your children to be grateful for what they have, the importance of earning a living, hardwork and the importance of having a savings.  None of these things are taught by giving them a bunch of crap for no reason, especially when you can't afford to do so.  In my mind, if you don't have a savings and would be trouble if you missed a paycheck, you can't afford it.

Please leave comments!!!  :)

2 comments:

steve-o said...

You almost went an entire post without mentioning that dog thing. Well done. Almost.

A few thoughts:

- Why have your kids make Valentines for anyone on Valentine's Day? Unless they're in love, it's a complete waste, even if it's for a sibling or parent.

- Most of the gift giving done for holidays is driven by retailers. You should know this--you've spent your entire adult life enslaved by them.

- Parents are buying their kids a lot of crap for no reason partly because they (the parents) also expect crap for no reason. I find this to be especially true in our generation. So many lazy, worthless people who have no idea what it really means to work hard.

Abish said...

I couldn't resist talking about Mockie. True retailers push a bunch of worthless merchandise for every holiday but they do it because people will buy it. If they didn't make any money off it, they'd stop doing it. I also agree that people are way lazier than they used to be and feel entitled to things for doing nothing, like welfare. Unfortunately these people have no pride and teach their kids not to either. I'd rather work at McDonalds than take government or church assistance and that's saying a lot since I have too much pride to work at McDonalds.