Saturday, August 16, 2008

Cover Image
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
I chose this book because it's a pretty popular book that people buy.  It wasn't really on the top of my books to read list but it was on audio at the library which is why I decided to get it.  It's about a doctor who ends up delivering his own babies.  There were twins, a boy and a girl.  The girl had downs syndrome which lead the doctor to decide to give the baby to the nurse and tell her to take the baby to a home for children with downs syndrome.  When his wife was conscious again he told her the baby died shortly after birth.  This story takes place in the mid sixties when people didn't really know much about Downs and doctors frequently recommended parents to send their children to special homes.  The children when not expected to live very long.  The doctor's reason for doing this was to spare his wife the grief of the baby's disability and her inevitable death.  The nurse was the only other person at the clinic during the birth since this all took place during a snow storm.  She takes the baby to the special home and realizes that can't leave the baby there.  Instead she takes her home and ends up keeping her as her own child.  The story follows the different paths of what happens to the nurse, the doctor and his wife and son.  This book seemed pretty long to me with not much action going on.  If I would have just read it instead of listening to the audio, I don't know if I would have lasted.  It's nicely written but was kind of boring at times.  Feel free to comment on this if you have read it.

1 comment:

Amanda Stephan said...

I had heard such good things about this book and I was disappointed! I didn't like the ending and I thought the wife turned mean so I didn't really like it.