Friday, May 14, 2010

Home Decorating

I made a trip to Ikea yesterday and bought a few things for the house. I had to get a rug for the living room since the hardwood floors are going in. This is what I picked up. I'm still debating on if I like it. I'll know for sure once the floor is in and everything is put back in place. It was my second choice and I decided to get it since it was half the price of my first choice.
DRAGÖR Rug, flatwovenDRAGÖR Rug, flatwoven
This was my first choice:
EGEBY Rug, flatwovenEGEBY Rug, flatwoven
I also bought fabric for the kitchen windows since I'm throwing out my yucky blinds. I'm a fan of this apple green color right now. This is what I decided on:
MAJKEN Fabric
It's hard to explain what I'm planning on doing for curtains but it'll basically be like a shade except I'm going to have button holes on the bottom two corners and buttons half way up and the top so that it can be fastened up or hanging straight down. That's the plan anyways. I'm also considering using this fabric to recover my throw pillows on my couches. I kind of tested it out yesterday and it didn't look bad but I kind of wanted something with more color.

After looking for curtains everywhere and not finding any that I was particularly fond of, I decided to get these from Ikea. They were super cheap so if I end up changing my mind later, it won't be a big deal. Hardly anyone carries curtains longer than 83 inches and if they do, they're super expensive and you have to buy the panels separately. I even looked at fabrics everywhere and couldn't find any cheap enough. Remind me again why I decided to do a double curtain rod?!!! I almost went with a chocolate brown color but thought it would make the room too dark since the floors will be dark. My only concern is that they will blend into the walls too much. I'll find out once they're up.
RITVA Pair of curtains with tie-backsRITVA Pair of curtains with tie-backs

Don't worry. I'll post pictures when all is said and done. I'll be happy when the curtain business is finished. I've been to every retailer that carries curtains and have purchased and returned things 3 or 4 times. It makes me wonder why curtains are not made longer. Are my windows too high or something? Maybe people don't mind when their curtains are a foot off the ground but to me it reminds me of someone with pants 4 inches too short!

3 comments:

Becca Brown said...

Your idea for kitchen shades sound interesting. Might be hard to button them up, since we have short arms.

Maybe instead having color in the curtains and throw pillows, you could get a colorful rug. Something with a pattern that will hide stains well.

Abish said...

I'm not planning on having the shades open very often. I just wanted the option. I thought about ties but think that would be too sloppy when they're down. Either way, I'll have to get on the step stool to pull them up.

Abish said...

PS. I thought about a rug with a print but couldn't find one that I liked. Plus having green couches suck! The rugs are made of those natural fibers, not cloth fibers, so stains shouldn't be too much of a problem.