Reader Rating:
This book is the sequel to The Forest of Hands and Teeth. In the first book, it follows Mary who lives in a village surrounded by a forest full of zombies. She escapes the village when the zombies break through the fences and ends up in a small town by the ocean. The Dead-Tossed Waves follows Gabry, Mary's daughter. Gabry and a group of friends sneak over the barrier protecting the town from the zombies, to explore some ruins of an old amusement park. What happens in the amusement park changes things forever. Soon after that, she is forced to face the forest she has been afraid of her entire life. Throw in a childhood crush and a mysterious boy from the outside and you've got a regular love triangle! Gabry has some serious identity issues in this book. She really struggles with who she is, and after she finds out a secret that her mom was keeping from her, she has even more issues. The love triangle puts her issues over the top. I get really annoyed at teen fiction when the girl doesn't know how to identify that she likes a boy. Gabry has all these feelings about the mysterious boy and doesn't recognize them for what they are. "I feel so comfortable around him, and he saved my life. We almost kissed on the beach and I keep thinking about it all the time. Why is looking at me like that? All of this must mean that I hate him or he hates me." Seriously? Anyways, this is a common trend in the teen books I've read lately. Even with all the teen romance, it was still a pretty good book and I'll read the next one because I want to know what happens next. I just wish the story would focus more on the zombie side of the story and what happened to the rest of the world, instead of who Gabry thinks she loves. You'd think that she'd be more worried about getting to safety without getting eaten by zombies than her love life but I guess not!
No comments:
Post a Comment