Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hardwood Floors!

The hardwood floors are done! Yeah! It was quite the process. It took them 2 days to complete. I'm really happy with how it turned out and the color. They didn't have to remove any baseboards, which makes me really happy. It was quite the process getting all the dust cleaned up from the installation. I had to wipe down everything in the house. I only had enough time yesterday to put everything back in place and clean the living room up. I left the kitchen for Chris to do and he wiped the counter and table off but didn't sweep and mop the tile so all of us have been tracking more dust onto the hardwood. Sheesh! I had to work today so it won't get cleaned up until tomorrow. We had a scare with the piano when we were moving it back into the living room. That thing is so old and the wheels don't cooperate most of the time so we had it half way moved before we realized that it was starting to scuff the floor because the wheel wasn't turned. Luckily it didn't gouge or scratch it, and the scuff just needed to be buffed out.

Ignore the dust and the messy kitchen. The point of this picture is to show the transition from the dark wood to the light wood in the kitchen. I was really having a hard time choosing a color and was originally going to do a lighter wood floor since the kitchen is but I loved the dark wood colors. I finally went with the dark wood thinking that the tile would be enough to break up the living room and kitchen so that it wouldn't look weird. I think it ended up working out okay and my framed tapa cloth kind of helps since it has both colors. What do you think? Did the gamble pay off? I think it did but what do I know? I just live here. I think if I went with a lighter wood, it might have been overwhelming.
Don't believe those Swiffer commercials. Just because I own a Swiffer, doesn't mean I don't use my broom too.
I love Mockie's face in this picture. Silly girl!
What do you think of this rug? I think it serves it's purpose.
The beast of a piano!
Those are my temporary curtains. I had them just sitting in the linen closet and just put them up so that I can have something until I get around to making curtains. Those blasted couches! It really limits what you can do colorwise. We're debating on getting new couches this year but I think it might end up being next year since we've spent so much on the floor and we still have the yard projects to do this summer. You can't tell in the pictures but the wood is hand scraped, which means that it's distressed. This will help hide any scratches that might turn up in the future. We also went with this one because it had a lifetime warranty on the finish.

So what's everyone's verdict?

No comments: