Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day Weekend

The beginning of the weekend sucked since I had to close the store on Friday and Saturday but I didn't have to work on Sunday and Monday so that was good.  Sunday was spent being lazy.  In fact, I don't think I did anything except update my blog.  Monday, Chris had off too so we got to spend the day together, which was nice.  We relaxed for the morning until we finally decided to go do something.  Everywhere was busy since the weather this weekend was bad and nobody could barbecue or didn't want to camp in the rain.  We went to lunch at Olive Garden which was really good.  I swear they put crack in their breadsticks because I seriously can't stop eating them!  Afterward we were going to see a movie but it looked like chaos at the dollar theater and there wasn't anything playing right now that I really wanted to see.  Instead we headed down to the mall which was also really busy.  I browsed the shops but there wasn't really anything that I wanted to spend my hard earned allowance on.  We ended up just renting movies from the redbox and buying some ice cream.  
Cover Image
Street Kings, Rated R
This movie was pretty good.  Chris had been wanting to see it for a while so it was his pick.  It reminds me of Training Day.  It's about a cop (Keanu Reeves) who bends the rules rules a little bit until his  former partner turns him in to internal affairs.  His ex partner ends up getting killed in what looks like a setup and while his boss tells him to get past it, he is determined to find the killers and is surprised at where the trail leads.
Cover Image
Sweeney Todd Rated R
I've been wanting to see this movie for a while and finally decided to rent it.  Chris wasn't really interested in watching it, especially when it started out with the characters singing.  The reason why this movie is rated R is for "graphic bloody violence"  and once Sweeney starts killing people you find out what it's refering to.  I was actually surprised at how violent the movie was.  Chris kept asking me why I  chose to watch the movie.  For anyone who doesn't know what this movie is about (it's a broadway musical) it's about a barber who has a beautiful wife and baby girl.  An evil judge falls in love with the barber's wife and sends him to prison on made up charges so that he can pursue the wife.  After being in prison for 15 years, the barber comes back to find out that his wife is dead and the judge has his daughter locked up and intends to marry her.  He plots his revenge and begins to kill people who visit his barber shop.  To dispose of the bodies, he plots with the landlady below who makes the bodies into meat pies and sells them in her shop.  What I found shocking is how they show Sweeney cutting the victims' throats and the amount of blood spraying out.  Also it was kind of gross how it showed the bodies drop from the barber shop to the basement below, they'd fall on their heads and the necks would break.  Pretty gruesome!  
Cover Image
10,000 BC Rated PG13
We actually watched this a while ago.  This movie reminded me of Frank Miller's 300 at parts.  It was an okay movie.  The main character has to track down the barbaric people who kidnapped his people and enforced them into slavery (building the pyramids with mastodons).  The similarities to 300 are as followed: the main character comes face to face with a large animal, in 300 it was a wolf, in this movie its a saber tooth tiger; the bad guy looks like he is 9 ft tall and people think he is a God; the main character tries to take the bad guy out with a spear while everyone stands around and watches.

No comments: