The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
This book is pretty strange. It's about a guy that gets in a car accident and is severely burned all over his body. As he is in the hospital he laments the loss of his looks and his penis since he is a porn star. As he is recovering, he plans that he is going to kill himself the second he gets out of the hospital. One day he is visited by a strange woman named Marianne who is a patient in the psych ward in the hospital. She ends up visiting him regularly even after she is released from the hospital. She tells them that they were lovers 700 years ago and tells him their story as the book progresses. Even though he thinks that Marianne is crazy and is making the story up, he becomes attached to her and ends up staying with her when he is released from the hospital. Marianne carves gargoyles from stone and tells him that she only has a certain number to carve before she dies. Gradually the number gets closer to her last gargoyle as she finishes telling him the story of their love. This book was interesting and I'm still trying to decide how I feel about it. I didn't hate it or anything but I wouldn't say that I loved it. The story keeps you wondering what's going to happen when Marianne gets to her last gargoyle and if they were really lovers 700 years ago. There are a few times when it refers to the guys past as a porn star but these parts can be easily skipped over and don't last very long each time they are referred to. There also a few parts in the story where it talks obessively about food. That kind of got on my nerves and I actually practiced skipping over it to continue reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment