I have to admit that I'm guilty of just starting books without really knowing what they're even about. I saw that this one had good ratings and with a description of being "scary", I downloaded the audio and was on my way. I had the wrong "scary" in mind. I was thinking along the lines of zombie/monsters scary and it ended up being terrorist scary. This is the perfect book for people who are into emergency preparedness and doomsayers. It was pretty eye opening to see how quickly things can deteriorate and people can turn into savages when faced with survival. Even though this is a work of fiction, the reason why people described it as being scary, is that it could happen. You'll want to start food hoarding after reading this.
Synopsis: The power goes out in a small town in North Carolina. After several hours, and realizing his car won't start and cell phone is dead, John goes into town using his mother in law's ancient car. He quickly realizes this is no regular power outage. The freeway is a parking lot of cars all stopped leaving their owners confused and stranded. After a while, the town learns that the country has been attacked and hit by electromagnetic pulses, knocking all electronic devices out permanently. Caught completely off guard, nobody is prepared. The book follows the struggle of the town as they try and survive being cut off without food and supplies for the foreseeable future. John's teen aged daughter suffers from type 1 diabetes and as her insulin supply runs low, he must face the horrifying truth that her days are numbered. As more and more time passes the town must protect itself from looters, from other towns, and a large cult that has resulted to cannibalism. I found myself in tears a few times when John is faced with the choice of using his dogs as food, something I cannot even fathom.
No comments:
Post a Comment