Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Piano Teacher by Janice Y. K. Lee

Reader Rating:

In the 1950's, Claire follows her husband when he accepts a position in Hong Kong. Left to her own devices for most of the time, she begins to teach piano to the daughter of a wealthy Chinese couple, the Chens. Caught in a marriage of convenience, Claire begins to have an affair with the Chen's driver, Will. As time goes on, Claire realizes she is caught up in some secret of the past, involving Will and the Chens. 10 years previous, Will arrives in Hong Kong and quickly starts a relationship with a beautiful and wealthy local named Trudy. Soon Hong Kong is invaded by the Japanese leaving Will in a prisoner camp and Trudy playing a dangerous game with a powerful Japanese commander. As the story unfolds, everyone's true nature is revealed when faced with their determination to survive. The results leave some with regret, some with shame, and others to their death.

I have mixed feelings about this book. The story isn't really one that leaves a lasting impression, and doesn't really grip you as you read it (or in my case, listen to it). I enjoyed the author's writing style and descriptions of day to day life in Hong Kong. The overall story is also intriguing. When I read something, I want it to evoke some sort of strong emotion. This book leaves much to be desired.

No comments: