Monday, September 13, 2010

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Reader Rating:

I finally got around to reading the conclusion of The Hunger Games trilogy. I'll have to be honest. It didn't knock my socks off. I admit part of it is probably reading burnout. I've been reading a lot lately and last week I read all three Hunger Games books since it's been years since reading the first two. Rereading Hunger Games and Catching Fire was very anticlimactic.
The thrill of not knowing what's going to happen was gone and my annoyance at Katniss was front and center. Everything that made this an amazing series for me, the first time through, is now overshadowed by my current annoyance of teen fiction. All this transfered over when I started reading Mockingjay. I felt bored even when the heavy action was going on. I was just ready to finish the series. My main annoyance was how Katniss couldn't decide if she loved Peeta or Gale. Not only could she not decide, she couldn't recognize that it was even love in the first place. Also working against this book was the huge surge in popularity. When things start getting too popular, I read it and then start to say, "That wasn't so great! What's the big fuss about?" I had the advance readers for both Hunger Games and Catching Fire by the time Mockingjay came out, I was "over it".

Lesson learned. I need to take breaks from reading every few weeks. Weeks of marathon reading (reading more than 2-3 hours in one day) turn reading into a chore and all enjoyment is gone. I was about to say that I haven't read anything that has impressed me lately, but I'd be lying. The Book Thief was amazing. Oh how soon I forget. ;) I think I'll take a few days off before picking up another book. Mad Men anyone?

No comments: