I finally got around to watching this a few weeks ago. I love this movie! I can't believe I liked it in Elementary school. You'd be hard pressed to find a preteen now that will sit through a 4 hour film like this. There was a special features disc that talked about the making of the movie which was interesting. Turns out it took 2 years to cast the movie. One of my favorite parts was when it talked about the first screening of the movie. Since it took several years to make the film, people were wondering if it would ever be finished. They couldn't publicize the screening because there would be a media frenzy and they wanted regular people to see it and not critics. They drove the film to a random town and took it to a theater. The people inside were there to see another movie when it was over, they announced to the audience that they were going to see a screening of a film, and that the theater would be sealed once it started. Nobody knew they were going to play Gone with the Wind and when they saw Margret Mitchell's name come on screen, everyone was standing on their seats and by the time Gone with the Wind appeared, they were cheering so loud you couldn't hear anything. Two thirds of the audience rated the movie excellent and most begged to not shorten it. I also found it funny that there was so much fuss about "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." There were threats to shut the movie down over it. They went into great lengths about the definition of the word to determine if it was considered an obscenity. In the end they refused to change it and the rest is history.
Monday, February 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment