Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Status Report

I had surgery on Wednesday last week and was pretty nervous about it.  I knew it wasn't going to be a big deal but that only helps so much.  Sariah went with me to the surgery center and stayed the whole time which I was grateful for.  I really underestimated the amount of time it would take and thought it would take maybe an hour.  I didn't realize that I would be sitting around for more than 1 1/2 hours being prepped and just waiting.  They let Sariah stay with me until I went in for my surgery and that was nice since I had someone to talk to and was able to kind of get my mind off of it.  I must have been asked a million times if I was allergic to any medications and what operation I was having.  They even said "show me where" and then stamped my right arm with a big "yes".   We don't want to operate on the wrong hand!  lol.  I wasn't a very happy camper when the nurse missed the vein in my arm and then had to have my IV in my hand.  Getting poked once is bad enough!  My vein rolled at the last minute.  Maybe the yelp I gave and the tensing up as soon as I felt the needle did it.   Hmmm.  It's amazing how fast it takes you to go under once they start the anesthesia.  I remembered it didn't take long when I got my wisdom teeth out.  Once I was on the operating table and they put my oxygen mask on, I was out!  I wish I could fall asleep that fast every night.  My hand was all bandaged up and I had it on until I got sick of it last night.  It's hasn't been very fun having it on.  I've had to shower with a plastic bag on my arm and it really limits what you're able to do for yourself.  When I got home later that night I discovered that Chris had cleaned the entire house for me.  Aww!  What a sweetheart.  He's been so helpful since then and I've really appreciated it.  I even got him to shave my armpits for me!  ha ha!  Oh the things that we take for granted!  I was so curious/nervous to what I would find when I removed my bandages last night.  Once they were off, I stared at my arm for the longest time feeling strangely detached from it.  It felt weird to not have anything on it and it just looked strange to me.  My wound isn't that bad.  There are no visible stitches and right now it looks something similar to a paper cut.  My wrist is pretty sore right now and hurts more than it did before but nothing that is excruciating.  I took my painkillers for a few days and then stopped because they really made me dizzy.  I even stopped taking them for a few days and then took one on Monday morning.  It made me dizzy the rest of the day and almost made me pass out Monday night.  Yuck.  Since I spontaneously took my bandages off earlier than I was wanting to, I didn't have anything to cover my battle wound.  I ended up wearing my brace today to help support my wrist and so my wound wouldn't get accidentally hit on anything.  It really helped with the pain, and even better than the painkillers!  I was so happy that I didn't have to wear my brace anymore, but I think I'll wear it for a while.  I was glad that I ended up doing the surgery on my vacation to give myself some time to recover.  I really thought that I would be back to normal by the next day but the medication really threw me for a loop.  Wow, sure shows how much I know about surgery!

No comments: