I've had this book for a while now as an advance reader. It sounded good so I took it home. I always take these advance readers home and then put off reading them because there isn't any urgency. We have these "book reports" at work that show new books and give a little blurb about them to increase product knowledge. This book was in there and it once again sounded good so I finally decided to read it.
This book is about a little girl who is found on a dock in Australia, abandoned. The dock manager decides to take her home since there didn't seem to be any alternative. The next day there is no sign of anyone looking for the girl and he and his wife decide to keep the girl as their own and name her Nell. When Nell gets older her father tells her the truth about her past and it completely turns her world upside down. She withdraws from the only family she's known. It's not until her father dies and she's in her 60's that she finds a clue to her identity. A small suitcase with a book of fairy tales that was with her the night she was found. Nell dies before she is able to find out the truth. Soon after Nell's death, her granddaughter begins to solve the mystery. This book was a little verbose at times but was still pretty good. Throughout the book it jumps between characters points of view and also across different time periods. Gradually all the stories lead to the truth of Nell's past when the full story is revealed. This seems to be the author's style. I've also read her other book The House at Riverton and can see some similarities. One of the reviews I read also compared this book to The Thirteenth Tale, which I could also see too.
No comments:
Post a Comment