Monday, February 25, 2008

blah, blah

Nothing much has happened, since last time. Chris and I went out to dinner with some friends on Saturday night and then went to see the movie Jumper. I didn't really know what the plot was about before we went and saw it. All I knew is that it's based on a book and that it was the #1 movie it's opening weekend or something like that. It wasn't that bad of a movie. It's about a kid who finds out that he has the ability to teleport himself where ever he wants, and of course there ends up being bad guys who chase after him. There were some parts in the movie that I thought were slow. Rachel Bilson is in it and looking a lot skinnier than her days on the OC. And of course at the end they leave it open to a sequel. The rest of the weekend was boring and we didn't end up getting a freezer yet. Partly due to my laziness, I didn't feel like leaving the house.

Since I'm boring I'll conclude with a few of my boring reviews of the books I've read in the last month.
Cover Image
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.
This is about a woman who is contacted by a mysterious famous author to write her biography. All previous attempts from other biographers and reporters to find out anything about the author were in vain because the author lied every time when asked anything about her life. The book is pretty much about the story of the author's life and how the experience changes the biographer. It's pretty good and a lot of people at work that have read it have said that they loved it. I liked it but I wouldn't say that I loved it. This book has some crazy stuff going on in it, like cutting, insanity, and implied incest. I would recommend it though if these things don't bother you. There's nothing worse than a PG-13. The ending surprises you. Usually you can see things coming, and at first you think you did until you finally find out the truth at the end. I must say though, there are parts that really made me want some cake because one of the characters is a baker and always had some cake in his pocket.
Cover Image
The Luxe by Anna Godbersen
This book I have to admit, I chose it because of the pretty dress on the cover. Plus it was a fairly new book. This one is considered teen fiction. It's definitely a story about forbidden love. It is based in 1899 and is about young rich society kids. The book starts off at the main character's funeral. It was her scheduled wedding date and she is presumed dead but her body is missing. It goes down a list of characters attending the funeral and insinuates that any of these characters could be suspects her disappearance. So the book follows through with the events leading up to the funeral. I have to admit that I was disappointed in the ending and thought that it was kind of rushed and predictable. It was an okay book though. So if you have time to kill and don't know what to read than I don't think any harm would be done. But don't blame me if you end up not liking it.
Cover Image
Atonement by Ian McEwan
This one is a current bestseller and I've been meaning to read it sooner and I just finished it today. I wanted to watch the movie (starring Keira Knightly) but I wanted to read the book first. It's based around the time of World War II and is a story about two people who are in love and the events that keep them apart. It is told in 3 different character's perspectives. There are times in this book when I thought that it was too descriptive and needed to get on with the story. The book will get to a part when something happens and you are eager to know what happens next and then you are forced to hear the same thing happen from an other character's point of view or some other rambling details that slow the story down. There is some swearing in the book using the F word, just to forewarn. At the end, I felt like I was ROBBED! The ending jumps like 50 years and then you are forced to read about a boring family reunion until you finally find out what happens to the main characters. By the time it said what happened to them I was confused for a second and then had to reread the paragraph to grasp what it was saying to me. It's a sad story. I think I was probably wrong in wanting to read the book first because in this case if you saw the movie first, you may be more patient in having to read through all the boring descriptive details. I've heard from someone at work that to movie is the same way, dragging in some parts. Is the movie rated R? They hyped it up to be the next best thing to Pride and Prejudice. I'll have to see if the movie is any better.

If anybody has read any of the books I'm talking about feel free to comment on them. I'd like to know your opinions.

No comments: