Monday, March 30, 2009

Sheet Music

It's been a while since I bought new sheet music and I decided to try getting it through my work.  We don't carry much in store but can order some in.  I was also pleased to use my employee discount.  Yeah!  Usually I'll buy the book instead of songs individually.  This time I picked up:
Leona Lewis - Spirit by Leona Lewis: Book Cover
Leona Lewis, Spirit
Kelly Clarkson by Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation: Book Cover
Kelly Clarkson, My December

I just realized that there are two different Leona Lewis song books and the one I didn't get has 3 more songs.  Bah!  I guess I'll be ordering the other one.  Angry fist!  I totally suck at piano now since I haven't been playing much.  So frustrating!  Not to mention the fact that our piano is out of tune.  I was thinking about buying a new one but I can't rationalize it since I hardly play now.  I usually just buy sheet music to songs I like to sing.  Since I pretty much taught myself how to play piano, I make a lot of stuff up.  I don't play tempo by how it's written, I play it by how I've heard it or how I think it should sound.  Also I don't like when the music follows the notes you're supposed to be singing.  Usually when I play and sing at the same time, I use the music as a reference and leave out half the notes so that the piano isn't playing the whole melody. That way I can sing the melody however I want and don't have to follow the music exactly.  Rebellious huh?  There are times that I played songs I've never heard before.  I made up the tempo and stuff to how I thought it should sound.  Later after hearing the original, 100% of the time, I thought my way was better.  Ha ha!  I guess it pays to not be influenced by the original.  I'm kind of sad that I really suck at playing piano right now.  The other day I even dug out my notebook with the songs I wrote in high school.  I tried playing them and had a hard time.  I'm really glad now that I actually took the time to write it all out.  It's really time consuming to hand write all parts of a song.  Notes, rests, words, etc.  If I didn't write it out, those songs would be lost forever.  I wrote a song with a friend in high school and modified it to be sung Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass.  I put a small group together and we performed it on choir tour.  We only sang it once because I was being an evil tyrant and refused to perform it until I thought we had practiced sufficiently.  It's different when it's your song people are singing.  If it sounds bad, you don't know what people will think, it's a crappy song or crappy singers.  After we sang it someone came and asked for the music and was surprised when I told them they couldn't have it since I wrote it and didn't want it to get out without being copyrighted.  I guess I overreacted since there were already copies out there from the people in the group.  I heard you could seal a copy and mail it to yourself as a form of proof.  As long as you don't open the envelope it's sealed with the date.  I did this after I wrote the song so maybe one day someone will plagiarise me and I can sue them for millions.  

2 comments:

Becca Brown said...

My piano skillz suck right now. I'd like to think that I would play more if I had something better than a keyboard. I love playing my in-law's grand piano when I'm there.

Amanda Stephan said...

I want to learn sooo bad!!! Your comments about Naiya are funny! I'm glad we both have crazy dogs to talk about! ha ha. She was trying to drink the water as she was running through the sprinklers..such a dork! She will go right up to the sprinkler head and shove her face down in it and try and drink...it's funny!