The Constant Princess, by Phillipa Greggory
This book is by the same author as The Other Boleyn Girl. This one follows the life of Queen Katherine, Henry VIII's first wife. This one is not as exciting as The Other Boleyn Girl. It follows Katherine from the time she is young until the time she is married at 15 to Arthur, Henry's older brother. At first they hate each other, but then eventually fall in love, only to have Arthur die after 6 months of being married. Katherine is left a penniless widow but has promised Arthur on his death bed that she would marry Henry because both of them know he is not capable of being a good king. So the story continues to follow her as she sets off to try and become the Queen. We all know what happens at the end. The story pretty much stops when Anne Boleyn comes into the picture.
The 13th Reality, by James Dashner
This book is for kids age 7-13. Since I'm over the children's books, I decided that I need to read a few of the popular ones. This one is one of the books a lot of people at work are reading because the author is coming to our store for a signing in May. It's about a smart kid that gets bullied at school. He gets a mysterious letter in the mail that invites him to join in a dangerous adventure to save many lives. After he gets the letter, strange things start happening. The book actually is pretty good for a kids book. There is some juvenile humor, but it keeps your attention. I was able to finish the book in 2 days. It's the first book in a series, but none of the other books are published yet. As I was reading it, I saw some similarities to Harry Potter, like the mystery letter, the kid has a birthmark on his neck that he hides with a red and black scarf, and there are also the goofy sidekicks.
No comments:
Post a Comment