The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Greggory
I finished this yesterday. It was a really good book. It was pretty interesting from the start. It's told from the point of view of Mary Boleyn. She is the sister of Anne Boleyn, the second wife of Henry VIII. He's the king that made himself head of the Church of England so that he could grant his own divorces (or executions), to try and find a wife that could give birth to a boy. Anne basically opened a can of worms when she seduced the king into marrying her and it ended in her being beheaded. She also was the mother of Queen Elizabeth. Didn't mean to spoil anything for anybody, but it is history what ends up happening. Anyways, it starts out that Mary catches the eye of the king and when her family realizes this, they push her into becoming the kings mistress even though she is already married (at 14 years old, yuck!). Later, her sister Anne steals him from her while she is pregnant with her second child from the king. When her family realizes that Anne could marry the King they push Mary out of the way. There is sexual content, suggested incest and the brother is gay. So if you can handle it then I highly suggest it.
I heard the movie got poor reviews because apparently Scarlett Johannson (Mary) and Natalie Portman (Anne) fail to live up to the characters in the book. One review said something like Scarlett Johannson is hardly believable as naive and Natalie Portman isn't believable as a powerful seductress. I guess I'll let you know, I'm planning on seeing the movie soon. Atonement comes out on DVD on Tuesday so I'll have to watch it to let you know if it's better to read the book or just watch the movie.
I also updated my book reviews with the book covers so you can see what I'm talking about. Plus I thought it made my blog look pretty:)
3 comments:
I was not a fan of the movie. It focused too much on the sex and made Anne look crazy, when in fact she was intelligent and very influential politically. I think there are also some inaccuracies. No knows who the older sister is, but it is widely believed that Mary was. Although Mary was King Henry's mistress for a time, no one knows if her children were his. And finally, historians believe the charges of adultery, incest and treason were fabricated so Henry could remarry.
I have now learned my lesson. Just like seeing a movie after reading the book, I should not see a movie based on history after reading about it. They always change things to make it more interesting.
Rachel was telling me a little bit about the movie and it sounds like they changed it from the book, which is closer to actual history.
Becca, this is some of the best, most articulate writing I've seen from you. Nicely done.
Post a Comment