This is a hefty book and I listened to it on audio since I didn't have the motivation to actually read it. I read somewhere that it was voted the worst book of 2010 and I wondered why. After listening to it for a while, I didn't think it was that bad. There was an unfortunate incident where I realized I had listened to an entire disk out of order. I thought Ken Follett was being crazy and scatterbrained! Then I lost my place when I had to charge my ipod and started skipping around to a spot that I didn't recognize. After listening to an entire disk, things started to sound familiar. I guess I tuned out an entire disk without realizing it. Pretty sad, it was that boring.
This is one of those overambitious books that would have been better if it were cut in half. It takes place during WWI and follows several characters from different countries. It goes into a lot of political and battle detail, which are the boring parts. It would have been a lot better if it just stuck with the personal drama of the characters versus the political side. The sad thing about this is it's a triology! I hope Ken Follett reads his reviews and edits! It seems like he got overconfident after writing Pillars of the Earth and World Without End. A thousand page book does not equal success.
1 comment:
Isn't it obvious? Everyone is doing trilogies nowadays.
Post a Comment