Friday, March 18, 2011

New Washer and Dryer

Keeping in fashion with a stream of bad luck, our dryer decided to give out on us. It sounded like it was about to explode at any moment. You can't really complain about something you got for free, and the thing had served us well for almost 9 years. After a few late nights researching washers and dryers, and running around to a few places to check them out in person. We settled on this LG model. So far I have no complaints but I've only done laundry one day. I'm super paranoid about getting a lemon, especially after forking out a good chunk of change and saying goodbye to our tax return before seeing it hit the bank. According to Consumer Reports, LG was the best brand so I hope all goes well. We decided not to get the pedestals because $200 each was a bit much for drawers I wouldn't ever use, and the convenience of not bending down as far. Who cares? I had to read the owners manual to get the settings straight. Who knew washing dirty clothes would require brains?

Now I'll tell you about the adventure of getting the things installed. I didn't want to have to wait a week for a delivery person to bring them to our house. They only deliver 2 days a week in our area, neither of which I was off from work in the next week. Can you blame me for not wanting to wait around for a delivery person? I hate waiting around all day when they tell you a time frame and then show up toward the tail end. So I told Chris to pick them up on his way home from work. This required us to register our truck that sits in our driveway for most of the year. We were supposed to register it in January and even had the emissions and inspections done, but we put it off because of the new "budget" we had started so we wouldn't have too much money going out in one month. Dang vet bills! Anyways, Chris goes to register it online and finds out the emissions and inspections is EXPIRED! Lame! It expired after 2 months and we missed it by a week. Chris ended up recruiting his friend and his truck for the job and unfortunately it decided to rain really hard that night. Perfect moving weather! For anyone that's ever been to our house, you know what the entrance looks like, you enter into a short hallway that opens up into the living room and kitchen. Said hallway was barely wide enough to fit the boxes through and into the house. They had to take the appliances out of the boxes to avoid having to remove the door from the hinges. Once into the house, the battle of getting it down the stairs and into the basement begun. At the bottom of the stairs, you have to turn 90 degree angle to the door on the left that goes into the basement. They had to lift the washer and dryer off the dolly because there was no room for them to be on it once you got to the bottom, and getting it around the corner was out of the question. This design flaw is a pain when you have to move things in and out of the basement. A queen sized mattress only barely makes it because you can bend it a little! Needless to say, we will be tearing out part of the wall when we eventually finish the basement.

Anyways, everything is up and running. I get VERY offended when Chris calls it MY washer and dryer and acts like he did me a huge favor by installing them and it exempts him from having to do anything for the foreseeable future. I have to correct him. Even though it was a pain in the butt and took a couple of hours to get done, his part is done, and mine will go on forever. There is never a short supply of dirty laundry, it is a losing battle and with kids in the future, it's only going to get worse! Good thing we got a model that can handle a larger load!

No comments: