Monday, December 20, 2010

Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCraig


I've been meaning to read this but kept putting it off. I found it at work for $3 so I bought it. I was a little disappointed because I thought it would follow Rhett and Scarlett a little more than it did. It's the same time frame as Gone With the Wind but follows Rhett and his family, particularly his sister. You can see a lot of similarities in the other character's stories. There is a lot of people marrying people they don't love and then learning to love them only to have them die. You also learn more about the relationship between Rhett and Belle Watling. There is a part in the book that I thought was really heart breaking. For you Gone With the Wind fans, it has to do with the yellow sash that Scarlett gives to Ashley. It was a gift from Rhett that he originally gave to his sister after he hadn't seen her for many years. She gave it to him to give to Scarlett so he could tell her that he loved her. He traveled to see her and was so nervous and filthy that he just gave her the package and left. Later he saw Ashley wearing it. I enjoyed the book but it didn't quite measure up to my expectations. Some things are better left to the imagination.

No comments: