Saturday, August 14, 2010

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Reader Rating:

This was my first eBook that I loaned from the library using Overdrive, which I'm really excited about. Between reading my free classics, loaning books from work, and now Overdrive, I haven't had to buy a book in a long time. ;) Good news for me since I'm broke from shopping a few weeks ago.

I decided to read this because I heard it was amazing. It's about a girl who kills herself and sends out cassette tapes to the people who led her to that point in her life. The cassettes tell the people the 13 reasons why she killed herself, which are a chain of events stemming from one person. The tapes were sent to one person who is supposed to listen to them and then pass them on to the next person listed on the tapes. The story is told from the perspective of a boy listening to the tapes. As he listens to the tapes he doesn't understand why he received the tapes and is really wondering if he somehow contributed to her death. The book is very dark and deals with rumors, bullying, underage drinking, rape and suicide. More than anything, the message is about how people could unknowingly hurt someone so much, that they would want to die. It's a deep subject for teens but with the stories on the news lately about bullying contributing to teen suicide or schools being shot up, the message is appropriate.

2 comments:

Becca Brown said...

So did you think it amazing like everyone else?

Abish said...

I didn't think it was amazing. It was good but really dark. There were a few parts that were disturbing like when the girl was hiding in a closet while a guy was raping another girl and was too screwed up to stop it. There was also another part when she let a guy fondle her because she had already decided to kill herself and was trying to make her life worse so she wouldn't talk herself out of it.