Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

Reader Rating:

I was trying to find an audio book from the library and selected this one because of the cover. It wasn't at all what I was expecting. It's a retelling of an Indian epic called the Mahabharat. I didn't know this when I started listening to it. It was confusing at first because it's told like a myth with mythical births, weapons and powers. It's about a Princess (who is called by three different names, adding to confusion) who falls in love with her family's enemy and instead is married off to five brothers who were cheated out of their kingdom. The end up building a kingdom for themselves with a magical palace which are later cheated from them by their evil cousin. They swear revenge and a bloody civil war breaks out as the families kill each other. Later it is discovered that the enemy she has been secretly in love with is the older brother of her husbands, a secret their mother has been hiding all their life. This discovery is made right before they go to war. All of this was a fulfillment of a prophesy at the beginning of the book.

I liked the overall story of the book but it was told very slowly. The overall theme was supposed to be a spiritual lesson and a few times in the book, characters gave deadly curses to their enemies only to regret them later when the curse was no longer wanted but had to be fulfilled. Even though this book had it's moments, overall I don't think it's one I'd recommend.


No comments: