Reader Rating:
I've been meaning to start this series for a while now and received the incentive last week in the form of a free eBook. This series is an urban fantasy and follows Harry Dresden, who is a wizard for hire, which means he has a hard time paying his bills. Harry gets hired by a lady who is looking for her missing husband that happens to be interested in black magic. At the same time this is going on, he helps the police investigate a double homicide that may be the workings of a very powerful wizard. The book also includes a hard nosed female detective, seductive female reporter/love interest, and silly skull/spirit sidekick. Harry is also humorous at times and often tries to act tougher than he really is. There's also another wizard that follows Harry around, waiting for him to screw up.
Right now I'm having mixed feelings about this book. I've been reading a lot lately and think I was having reading burn out at the time. As it stands, I liked the book but it isn't something that I'm itching to continue. I think I'll give the series another chance before I make a final verdict since there are quite a few people who absolutely love this series. Maybe it's just not my thing.
I watched an episode of The Dresden Files, which is the television series inspired by the books. I found it slightly entertaining but a little too cheesy for my taste. Since it deals with magic and low budget filming, the special effects came off pretty silly. I haven't watched any other episodes since I decided to watch The Office instead. :D
No comments:
Post a Comment