Reader Rating:
This is not the usual post apocalyptic, virus spreading story. I am not a big fan of recycled plots and this wasn't an issue for me. The book is about a scientist who discovers a virus that cures deceases and lengthens a person's life. He is sponsored by the military because of their interest in developing super soldiers. For test subjects, they use convicts from death row. Eventually the virus spreads, devouring what seems to be the entire world. The people infected have characteristics similar to a vampire. They bite to infect, and are sensitive to light. At the heart of the story is a little girl with a tragic background but the strength to save the world. This story covers all angles and motives. You get to hear the story of the scientist, the military, the convicts, and the survivors. A bulk of the story is about the survivors after the virus has spread and the problems they face. I can't really say much more about the story without giving anything away.
This is a monster of a book at about 800 pages. There were parts I felt that lagged but for the most part, the storytelling moved at a good pace, especially once things really start happening. The imagery in parts were so great that you could picture the scene happening, and some were really creepy and scary. The film rights were bought for Ridley Scott and I hope it turns out to be a really good movie. You never know how much of the story they're going to cut out in order to make the movie a decent length. I really enjoyed the book and highly recommend it to anyone. There is some language and violence.
No comments:
Post a Comment