Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay: Book Cover
Reader Rating:
I am awful sometimes about finding out what books are about before I read them. ha ha. This one was on my list to read because it's pretty popular but I never bothered to find out why. My boss just finished it on her Nook and loaned it to me and I couldn't put it down today.

This book takes place in France during WWII. It follows a ten year old girl named Sarah as her family is arrested by French police during the Vel' d' Hiv' roundup. Thinking they will be back after a few hours, she hides her four year old brother in a locked secret cupboard. All the Jewish families that were part of the roundup were shipped out to a camp where she is separated from her parents and struggles to get back to her hidden brother.

The book also follows another character 60 years later named Julia. She is a journalist who is assigned to do an article on the 60th anniversary of Vel' d' Hiv'. As she researches, she finds out she is connected to Sarah and it changes her life.

I don't want to say much more about this book but it has become one of my favorites. Sarah's story is heartbreaking and I cried in several parts. This is a definite "Must Read!"

No comments: