Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick: Book Cover
Reader Rating:
This wasn't on my "to read" list either but I was curious since we have been promoting it at work lately. Sometimes publishers pay for display space and I think that was the case with this book. We were supposed to display this book at every register for a week. After reading the back of the book and being intrigued at the plot, I decided to get a sample on my Nook. The sample was about 3 chapters and ended right as things were about to happen. Of course! I was about to buy it when I started to read some reviews from readers and discovered that practically 8 out of 10 readers said they didn't like the book. Instead I decided to just sit in Barnes & Noble and read it since I had nothing better to do while I was stranded in Denver.

The story is about a wealthy man who is in his 50's and decides that he needs a wife because he is lonely. He places an ad in the paper for a "reliable wife" and gets a response from a woman who you find out is deceiving him about who she is. Since I'm not recommending this book to anyone to read, I'll go ahead with the entire plot of the story. Immediately upon meeting you find out that she has sent him a picture of someone else. On the way home from the train station, they are in an accident and the man is gravely injured. The woman helps nurse him back to health gaining his trust. He tells her about his past which includes a former wife who cheated on him and a daughter who died and a son who might not have been his. He threw the wife out who died shortly after and the son ran away at age 12. After the man and woman get married, he sends her to retrieve his long lost son, so that he can redeem himself. Shortly after she meets the son, you realize that they are lovers and the whole thing was set up by the son in order to murder the father and take his wealth. By this point you know that the woman has fallen in love with the father and doesn't want to poison him but is now being blackmailed by the son. So the woman returns without the son and starts to poison the father who realizes he is being poisoned but doesn't stop her because he loves her. Long story short, she stops poisoning the father and the son returns. The father ends up killing the son because he tries to rape the wife after he realizes she doesn't love him anymore. If this story sounds familiar, it's because it has A LOT of similarities to the movie Original Sin, starring Antonio Banderas and Angelina Jolie which is based off the book Waltz into Darkness. The plots are almost identical, I'm actually surprised nobody was sued over it. Since I quickly lost interest and only wanted to know what happened in the end of the book, I skimmed the last half of the book.

No comments: