Saturday morning I was enjoying my extra time in bed when all of a sudden there was a loud crash as my bedroom window fell out of the frame for no reason! I was just laying in bed petting Mockie when I heard a loud scraping noise and being the lazy person that I am, I didn't get up to check on what it was until the window fell out 5 minutes later. I guess the noise I heard before was it starting to fall out of the frame. Weird. Have you ever heard of this happening? I am no expert at window installation so I can't tell you how a window pane stays in the frame. I'm only assuming there is some adhesive and framework used to hold it in. Whatever it was failed. This is the stationary glass pane, not the one that slides back and forth. So of course, after this happens, it starts raining, and then snowing. All this happens when everyone is closed for the weekend so we have a piece of plywood and some cardboard in the window right now. Luckily it's been keeping the cold air out pretty well. Now comes the exciting business of getting the window fixed. Since this one seemed to fall out for no reason, we are looking into getting all or most of our windows replaced in our house. Chris' dad just recently replaced all their windows and sliding glass door for about $2500 and there's a tax rebate available for energy efficient windows for 30% of the cost up to $1500. We're also going to look and see if our home owner's insurance will cover it. The windows in our house seem to be really cheap. Our living room window seems to be rusting in between the glass panes where condensation builds up and none of our screens fit properly so all the bugs from the field find their way in. Annoying. Our house is only 10 years old and our luck is that there is a 10 year warranty on the windows. Fine time for a window to just fall out for no reason. Seriously!
Monday, March 15, 2010
Keeping Company and 10 year Warranties
As I mentioned before, Chris has been working in Denver for a few weeks and still has a few to go. Last week I went out with him so that he wouldn't be so homesick. Unfortunately there wasn't much time to do anything once he got off work so we pretty much just went to dinner and that was it. The good thing is that we didn't really spend much to have me go out there, about $230 which covered my ticket and meals. Not too shabby. I was as cheap as you can get about meals cause I'd eat the continental breakfast and then take some up to my room for lunch. ha ha! There wasn't much for me to do since the hotel wasn't in a good shopping area and Chris didn't want me to go wandering the streets by myself. There was a Barnes & Noble next door so I hung out there for a few hours a day while they cleaned the room. I did manage to get some reading done though. I've read a few partial books that I'll have to finish sometime before continuing other books. I think I've read a third of Emma by Jane Austen and a fourth of The Pact by Jodi Picolt. I kind of lost interest in Emma because I know the plot and the storytelling is so slow. I found myself thinking about other stuff while reading it, so I decided to read something else. I spent the rest of my time being a B&N spy and checked out that store's merchandising and setup.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I had the same problem with Emma. Keep at it. It picks up for the last half.
I can't believe your window fell out. Ridiculous! My favorite show right now is Holmes on Homes. Have you heard of it? Holmes is a general contractor who fixes people's homes that have been messed up during a remodel. It's very interesting and scary at the same time. Makes me wonder what's in my walls. Holmes also reminds of Mr. Turner. They could be brothers.
I've seen that show before. Pretty scary stuff. I'm not really pleased with how things were done with my house right now. It seems like we find more and more things. I think we might just replace 2 windows so that we can fix the other stuff we were already planing on doing this year (hardwood floors and a landscaping overhaul). I'll have them check the other windows when they do the estimate just incase the other windows are even thinking about falling out too. :p
Post a Comment