Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
I read in a magazine that this was one of the best books of last year. Hmm, don't know if I agree. I thought this book was okay. It's actually several short stories so I liked some more than others. The author is Indian and all the stories are about children of Indian immigrants. I think the best one was the last one in the book. It's about a boy and girl whose parents are friends while they were young. Their parents were best friends until the boy's parents moved to Bangkok. Several years pass and they grew apart until one day the boy's parents call and say they are moving back to the United States and asked if they could stay with them until they get settled. When they arrive, the girls family discovers how much they have changed and start to complain about the inconvenience of having them. The girl has a huge crush on the boy who is now 16 and she is 13. He pretty much ignores her. SPOILER ALERT!!!: The boy tells the girl one day that his mother is dying of cancer and that's why they moved back. His parents didn't want anyone to know. After the family settles into their own house, the families grow apart again. The boys mother dies. 20 Years later, the boy and girl meet by chance in Italy. The girl is engaged to be married but doesn't love her fiance since it's sort of an arranged marriage. They fall in love instantly. He tells her not to get married and to move to Hong Kong with him. Since she is unwilling to uproot her life for him, they part ways. A few weeks later he goes to Taiwan and is killed by the tsunami and she ends up getting married to the other guy. Kind of a sad story and I wasn't really expecting it to end that way.
No comments:
Post a Comment