Yesterday Chris' mom went with me to buy stuff for the nursery. We did some serious damage, and when I say damage, I mean Chris was suffering from sticker shock when I told him how much I spent in one day. The hardest thing about planning the nursery was for me to actually decide what I wanted. I like a lot of things so nailing down an actual theme/style was hard. I've been looking at nursery furniture since before I was pregnant so deciding what I wanted was really hard too. Here's some of the things I bought yesterday.
I got the following items from Ikea. After looking at Babies R Us, I realized that the furniture was expensive and looked cheap. I could have forked out more money to get quality furniture but who knows how long it's going to last with kids anyways. I'm also weary of buying furniture online because I'm paranoid of receiving broken items or having it look different than expected.
 |
This is actually made for shoes but we figured it could be used for other things like toys or books.
|
 |
| This shelf is usually used in the living room when you're connecting two bookcases together to form an entertainment center. I'm using it above the dresser for extra storage. |
 |
Dresser/Changing table.
Originally the plan was to buy white furniture but I decided on this color because when I put my paint swatches up against the furniture, it really made a huge difference. The pink really pops out against the grey/brown finish on the furniture but with the white finish, it looked washed out. |
 |
| Pale Lace (Don't know if you can tell, but this is pink.) |
 |
Creamy Mushroom (beige)
I'm probably doing 3 walls beige and one wall pink. I'll use pastel purple and sage green for accent colors.
I also bought a rocker/recliner and a lamp with a sage green base/cream shade. After looking at reviews for glider rockers online, I thought I was going to go crazy. It seemed like even the highly rated gliders had some pretty horrible reviews. You can pretty much spend as much as you want too. When I showed Chris one for $400 I thought he was going to die. I had to explain to him that there are ones for over $1000. I decided to just get a regular rocker/recliner that people put in their living room instead. It seemed like a lot of people were telling me that I didn't need a chair and that I wouldn't end up using it. I just know that if someone has to get up with the baby, all the dogs are going to be up too so it might be easier to just go in the nursery and shut the door so everyone can get back to sleep. If it doesn't work out, I'll just move it into the living room. It's not the prettiest chair out there but it was comfortable and I figured I wouldn't have to buy an ottoman to put my feet up. It was also on sale for the holiday weekend so I saved $200. |
 |
| I think this is the one I got, it's more narrow than the usual living room recliner. |
The only furniture I need to buy now is the crib. I can either go with the crib from Ikea that matches the furniture I bought or I can just find a white crib. I can't decide yet so any opinions would be appreciated.
 |
Ikea crib. The pros are that it matches and will be super cheap. Also it wouldn't be much of a loss if it didn't make it to baby #2. The cons would be that it looks super cheap and a standard crib mattress might not fit properly so I might have to buy an Ikea mattress too.
We also went to multiple stores looking for bird cages, bird houses and other accessories. I thought this idea was cute with the three bird cages hanging from the ceiling. The only problem is, the bird cages I saw were over $30 each. You do the math. We're going to try and figure out a way to make our own bird cages. It's not like they have to actually hold a bird and it would be better anyways if they weren't as heavy. |
 |
I also thought something like this would be cute to hang things like hair accessories on.
Well what do you think so far? |
1 comment:
I think everything looks/sounds good so far! The pics of the Ikea furniture make it hard to really tell how that color is...I'm going to trust that it looks good! haha. No, it doesn't look bad so don't worry. I bought a crib for under $200 and it came with the mattress...I first saw it on Target's website but bought from Wal Mart because of the free mattress. I do wish the front rail was a little more heavy duty because when you lean on it you can feel it bend just a little. I think you will be surprised at how long a crib will last you. They are only in it to sleep so really it doesn't get beat up too much. And RJ is now 18 months and still in his and he's rarely in his room except to sleep. I didn't want to spend a lot on my crib cuz I wanted to spend more on other items but I did want it to be a decent one.
I never did the rocker thing but lots of people do. My sister in law has a chair from Ikea that's around $80 I think and I bottle fed her baby in it one time and liked it. We had Rob's Mom's old rocker so I used that..Heather made me a pad. I will honestly say that I usually fed RJ while I was still in bed...he stayed in our room for a couple months. A few times I would use the rocker. Once we moved him to his room I would use the rocker in the middle of the night but he slept through the night early on so I would just nurse him on the couch before he went to bed. lol.
I definitely spent the most on my stroller! I wanted one that would convert to a two kid stroller so that I could buy one nice one now and not buy five like all of my friends did! Check it out...it's amazing! It's the Baby Jogger City Select. It was brand new when we bought it so I was nervous but I have family that own other models by Baby Jogger and they loved them so I trusted the brand. I will say that there are now cheaper versions of this stroller. I see my stroller everywhere now and some of my friends have it and love it too! It's barely wider than a normal one kid stroller and can have two in it! It's the best!!!
Oh, and I would get the three bird cages for $37, that's a good deal!!!
Post a Comment