Thursday, February 3, 2011

Persuasion by Jane Austen


I probably should have read this one instead of listening to it on audio. It was really difficult to focus on the story because it was read by a British lady who didn't make the voices of the characters very different. I would tune it out every few minutes because it seemed pretty monotone and boring. I had a hard time figuring out what was going on in the beginning because I couldn't pay attention. In a way, all Jane Austen novels are the same story recycled. A young couple falls in love but the match isn't approved of because one of them is poor. The heroine in the story comes from a family with just sisters and the father is forced to leave the family estate to a cousin. I just wasn't in the mood for Austen this time.

This book is about a young couple Anne and Fredrick, who fell in love and were engaged until Anne let a friend talk her out of the marriage. Eight years later, Anne is still single and Fredrick comes back in the picture, a successful and rich naval officer. Anne and Fredrick try to deal with what happened in the past as they watch each other being sought after, by outside parties, for marriage. This helps them realize that their true feelings for each other never changed.

2 comments:

Becca Brown said...

This is my third favorite Austen book. You should try reading it sometime.

Abish said...

Maybe I will. It's not a very long book but it'll have to be at the end of my list because there's so many books that I want to read right now. Maybe I'll just watch the BBC version. ;)