Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon


I heard this book was good and I'm famous for putting books on my to-read list and not even knowing what they're about. This one is about 15 year old Christopher who has Asperger's and it's told as if he is writing the book while the story is taking place. At the beginning of the book he finds his neighbor's dog murdered in the back yard. He decides to find the murderer and plays detective, but ends up solving another mystery about his mother. This book is pretty funny because he has a hard time understanding other people and since he is telling the story, it's funny to hear him explain. In one part he says he used to carry a piece of paper around with a smilie face and frownie face, so that he could match it to real people's faces so he would understand their feelings. What I like best about this book is it helps you understand Asperger's a little. It's sad because people call him retarded throughout the book but he is actually a mathematical genius. Another part I like is when his father finds the book he is writing and Christopher tries to tell a white lie about doing something his father told him not to do. His dad says "I know you're lying! I read the book!"

No comments: