Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown: Book Cover
I mainly decided to read this out of curiosity since I've read several Dan Brown books and enjoyed them.  If you've read his books, you know that all of them have similarities and he has his standard 2-3 page chapters.  One thing about his books is that they are pretty fast paced and since the chapters are short, it tempts you to read just one more chapter (I like to stop at the end of a chapter) so you end up getting through the book pretty fast.  This book follows Robert Langdon, main character from Angels & Demons and The Davinci Code.  The secret society in this one is the Freemasons and the setting is Washington DC.  A lot of people are aware of the Freemason's connection with designing the city and the conspiracy theories surrounding it.  If you haven't read any of his books, I don't recommend reading this one first.  It is pretty verbose at parts and seems a little slower paced than his others.  There is a lot of explaining going on.  First it's explaining of Masonic stuff, then scientific explaining, more Masonic explaining, and then at the end, religious explaining.  Blah blah blah.  It got old.  By the time the book started winding down at the end, I was reading a few sentences on every page.  Out of 500 pages, it could have been trimmed down significantly.  Possibly 200 pages.  Overall, it was good, not great.

No comments: