Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan

The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan: Book Cover
I got this book a few weeks ago as an advance reader and then discovered it would be our new Barnes & Noble Recommends title.  This bumped it up on my reading list.  Usually I hold on to Advance Readers for a while and don't get around to reading them. 

The book is based in the early 1900's and takes place around Niagara Falls during the beginning of the hydroelectric power era.  It follows Bess, a girl whose family used to be well off but is now forced to scrape by after her father loses his job.  She meets a boy who lives off the river and is drawn to him even though her family does not approve of his social standing.  They fall in love and events throughout the book threaten their life together.  This book has a great love story and I found myself crying at a few parts.  

No comments: