Sunday I sat home by myself and was bored out of my mind. Chris skipped out of the house while I was still sleeping and went to the golf course. I didn't realize what time it was when he left so I assumed that he was going to work. Later I got mad at him when I realized he had left a few hours early so that he could practice before work. Of course he skips out on his turn to make breakfast. (We take turns making breakfast on Sunday mornings. I'm not talking about a bowl of cereal either. Pancakes and eggs baby!) Boo hiss on Chris, he thought he was so clever too when I yelled at him later for it. So like I said. I was bored out of my mind. I started reading a book that I had gotten at work but it was a little too slow so I don't know if I'll ever continue to read it. It's one of those advance readers that I get for free at work so there's really no urgency to read it right now.
Today nothing much happened, I went to work and afterward rented a few movies and we watched them.
The Other Boleyn Girl, PG13
I finally got around to watching it. I've heard mixed reviews about this movie. I think it makes a huge difference if you've actually read the book previous to the movie. Right away in the movie, it goes immediately away from the book which is annoying because then they change more in the movie later because they didn't follow the original plot. BOOO! I'm not sure how I feel about Scarlett Johannson or Natalie Portman. Here are a few things that are different in the movie: the family doesn't make Anne go for the king first, she does it after Mary has her 2nd child with Henry; both Anne and Mary are lady's in waiting to the Queen before Mary catches Henry's eye; Henry never rapes Anne; Mary never goes to Henry to save Anne's life at the end; there is never a scene where Anne and George almost sleep together, the incest is implied only after Anne has a second miscarriage. These are just to name a few. I guess the movie was okay overall, but a disappointment if you're a fan of the book. Throughout the movie I was saying "No! This is all wrong!"
Meet the Spartans, Rated R
Yes I'm ashamed to say, I really did rent this video. Was it really rated R? I just now noticed that. Anyways, it was a complete waste of time. I admit, I can really be a stick in the mud at times, but even Chris didn't think this movie was that funny. Now I'm really glad we didn't go see it in the theater. Probably one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen. Sorry, if anyone actually liked this movie. There are only so many times a joke can be told before it stops being funny. In the instance when they keep kicking people into the pit of death, they were kind of beating a dead horse. Has Carmen Electra really made a career of playing bit parts in horrible movies like this? That's incredible.
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
I just finished this book over the weekend. It was pretty good. Not as good as The Kite Runner though. This book takes place in Afghanastan and follows the paths of two women as their lives are brought together. One of them, Mariam, is an illegitimate child. After her mother kills herself she is forced to marry at a young age because her father is too ashamed of her to take care of her. Later she crosses the path of Laila who is several years younger. Through a series of events, that include a country in the midst of war, Laila becomes the second wife to Mariam's husband. Both of them endure years of abuse and form a strong friendship. I won't give away the rest but it's pretty sad. I didn't actually cry until the very end when it has a letter to Mariam from her father. I think the saddest thing is that the situations in the book are still common in some countries where women don't have the same rights as men. One of Mariam's lessons from her mother is that a man's accusing finger always finds a woman. There is a part in book where Mariam's husband makes her put rocks in her mouth and chew on them until she breaks several of her teeth. So sad. The book has a bittersweet ending. I would recommend this book.

Perfectly Clear, Jewel
We've been playing this CD for a while at work and let me just say..... it's country. That's right, the whole thing. I liked Jewels first 2 albums and a few songs on her 3rd but this one, not so much. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound all that bad for a country album, but it's just not my thing. I can't get over all that twang! Anyways I hear she talks with a country accent too. That's pretty amazing. I guess that's better than a fake british accent right? (ahem..... britney & madonna). By the way, I added a few songs on my playlist, so you can decide if you like it for yourself. Just in case you're wondering what all the country ruckus was.
Also here's a link to help find the cheapest gas station.
3 comments:
Soda sales are a great idea. The first time they tried raising the price of bottled sodas to $1.25 at my office, everyone balked at the new price. A friend of mine saw it as an opportunity and started selling sodas to people and making a killing. The cost was soon lowered back to $1, so he closed his business. Had a good run, though.
So far Chris has been doing well. He keeps selling out though. I told him that he needs to take more than he thinks he can sell so that he doesn't loose sales. Now we're estimating he'll make $500 a month in profit. Not too shabby.
Your comment on my blog was funny!!! I don't know why people are so obsessed over Twilight. I will read the last one, but only because I've read the previous two and I'm pretty sure I can predict the outcome! ha ha. I don't blame you for being rebellious....people are a little too obsessed over those books I think!!!! Especially after reading The Host.....pretty much the same but this time it was aliens....not vampires!
Post a Comment