Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan

The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan: Book Cover
I know this totally makes me look like a huge Amy Tan fan but I swear I'm not. There are just a lot of her audio books available for download from the library. I pretty much do my "reading" nowadays in the car. All of Amy Tan's books have the same formula: Chinese women who have moved to America and tell their American born daughters about their lives in China. This book was very short and the audio was horrible. The book is about Winnie, who decides to tell her daughter Pearl about the secret she has been carrying for 50 years. Before marrying Pearls father, Winnie was trapped in a marriage to an abusive husband. After suffering the loss of many children and going to jail. She is finally able to escape and get out of China. The most interesting things about Tan's books are the cultural practices and superstitions of the Chinese. This book was good but not amazing.

No comments: