Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Surrendered by Chang-Rae Lee

The Surrendered by Chang-rae Lee: Book Cover

4 stars

This book had me crying by the end of the first chapter, and a few times more by the time I finished. It's about three people who are brought together in war torn Korea. One is a Korean girl named June who loses her entire family in the war and ends up in an orphanage. The second is Hector, a self punishing solider from America who blames himself for his father's death. The third is Sylvie, the wife of a missionary who goes to run the orphanage in Korea with her husband, but ends up with a tragic fate like her parents. Both June and Hector meet Sylvie at the orphanage and vie for Sylvie's affections. All of these characters are damaged in their own way and each have a heartbreaking tale to tell. June's story is the main artery of the book. Hers is a story of survival and how that survival hardened her against the people she loved, leaving her with regrets later in life. Her strength to overcome and will to live is astounding when compared to Hector and Sylvie who have surrendered to life and have given up.

If anyone else ends up reading this, I'd love to hear what you thought about it.

2 comments:

Amanda Stephan said...

I will have to read this! I'm reading The Historian right now...kind of slow in my opinion....very detailed when she explains things. I saw your goodreads email, do I just create a login to see what books you've read? I can't read books on there can I?

Abish said...

The Historian is pretty detailed. I listened to it on audio and I tend to tune out the boring parts. Goodreads is pretty much social networking for book lovers. You review and rate books you've read and can view what your friends have read and what they rated it. It would be awesome if you could read books on there too!